How to store bread? / freezing bread

Joan Mathew <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 18:48:01 -0800
v006.n084.6
>From: AKACarl@aol.com
>Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 12:55:25 -0500
>Subject: How to store bread?
>
>Wonder why nobody seems to suggest freezing. When bread is cool, I slice
>and package it in ZipLock plastic bags and freeze it. This works fine and
>stays fresh indefinitely. There are only two of us and we like to have three
>or four kinds of bread available.

Hi Clare,
  Well, *somebody* does suggest freezing...me!   :)

  I also have been doing this for the last 5 years I've been making bread,
with wonderful results!  The key phrase in your note is "when the bread is
cool".  This is very important, because otherwise the moisture will cause
condensation inside the bag and cause the bread to become somewhat soggy
(yuck).

  I don't even slice up the bread, but just put the whole loaves into big
2-gallon sized Ziploc bags.  In a pinch, these are nice to take to potlucks,
or to give as a gift if you're invited to someone's house for dinner at the
last minute, etc.  I just make sure I take them out of the freezer at least 4
hours prior to using them and they are just fine.

  When I take them out of the freezer, I leave the Ziploc bag completely
sealed and just put the whole package on the kitchen counter.  That's where
my bread stays until it's all used up, generally.

  Those Ziploc bags are marvellous inventions, aren't they?!  :)

Joan
cmathew@iadfw.net
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/1514