Banana Nut Bread

Billy Hatcher <0002040826@mcimail.com>
Mon, 5 Feb 96 12:28 EST
v006.n068.7
The following is the best (and most forgiving) banana bread recipe I've come
across.  Don't recall where I got the original, but have modified it quite a
bit, so it is pretty much my own.  I use it if I happen to have some grossly
over ripe bananas on hand, and if not, try to go to a grocery which has a mark
down produce section for them.  The key to really good banana flavor is using
very, very ripe bananas.  If it is almost black, mushy and oozing juice, it is
perfect for the bread.  Enjoy!

BANANA  CRUNCH  BREAD

INGREDIENTS:

1 c. mashed, very ripe bananas
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
3 tbs milk
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c. melted butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 deg.

Beat bananas, sugar and eggs together until light.  Stir in milk.  Add sifted
dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Stir in melted butter, vanilla and nuts.

Pour into 1 standard or 2 smaller bake pans and bake one hour or until done.
Baking time may need to be reduced for smaller pans.  Done when tooth pick
tests dry.

Cool thoroughly before slicing.

[I generally double this recipe, and it freezes very well.]

 Bill Hatcher
 204-0826@mcimail.com
 Southampton County, Virginia, USA

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm
only those who are neither inclined nor determined
to commit crimes.  Such laws make things worse for
the assaulted and better for the assailants; they
serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides,
for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater
confidence than an armed man.
                       -Thomas Jefferson, 1764