Onion Sourdough starter

widera@unr.edu (Debra Widera)
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 12:49:35 -0800 (PST)
v006.n068.6
To whoever it was who needed clarification on the onion
starter (sorry! I accidentally deleted the wrong group
of messages after printing!), here's what I do:

Get a good, fresh onion (I have used white, yellow, red,
and those cute little pearl onions). Peel it & cut it into
a manageable-sized piece.

In a jar, mix about 1/3 c. warm water (about 100 deg.), 1/3
c. flour, 1/2 tsp. granulated yeast (to get it going), a
*pinch* of sugar (just a bit--you want to let all that sugar
in the onion do the majority of the work!). Mix this all this
stuff up til it's good & smooth.

Take a piece of cheese cloth, wet it with lukewarm water and
wrap the onion piece in it; tie with a string & put it in
the flour mixture. Just take care of this like any starter
(stirring every day, etc.). At the end of 1-2 weeks (depending
on how it's coming along), discard the onion. This makes great
sourdough onion dill bread!

Debra
widera@unr.edu