Please, what went wrong?

ellen@brakes.elekta.com
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 12:21:28 -0400
v006.n062.4
Well, after making 6 loaves of bread in my Zo with much success, I finally
had my first failure. I attempted to make the small loaf (recipe follows),
and I did, indeed, get a SMALL loaf! It was only a few inches high. The
texture wasn't doughy or terribly tough (ie, it was not a hockey puck!),
but it was quite chewy and dense. It smelled great and tasted OK warm, but
tasted a little "raw" and yeasty once cooled.

I watched the dough and it seemed quite wet (it wasn't pulling together
into a ball), so I did about 2T of flour. And I omitted the vegetable oil.
(I've had to cut down the liquid or add more flour to every dough I've
tried so far.)

I've gone through all the "what went wrong" checklists in Lois & Linda's
"Helpful Hints" book, and can't find a match. Any other ideas?

Has anyone else had success with this recipe? I'm sure it is wonderful when
it works!

Thanks.
Ellen
ellen@brakes.elekta.com

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                           Apple Oatmeal Bread

Recipe By     : EAT-L, Donna German The Bread Machine Cookbook II
Categories    : Bread Machine                    Breads

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
                        --small--
     2/3  cup           applesauce, unsweetened
   1      tablespoon    vegetable oil
   1      tablespoon    honey
     1/3  teaspoon      salt
     1/4  teaspoon      cinnamon
   1      cup           oats
   1      cup           bread flour
   1      teaspoon      yeast
     1/4  cup           dried apples  -- diced
                        --medium--
   1      cup           applesauce, unsweetened
   1 1/2  tablespoons   vegetable oil
   1 1/2  tablespoons   honey
     1/2  teaspoon      salt
     1/3  teaspoon      cinnamon
   1 1/2  cups          oats
   1 1/2  cups          bread flour
   1 1/2  teaspoons     yeast
     1/3  cup           dried apples  -- diced

At the beep add the diced dried apples.