RECIPE: Yummy Sandwich Bread

cmathew@iadfw.net (Craig & Joan Mathew)
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 11:13:48 -0600 (CST)
v006.n062.3
Hello all,
  Here's an absolutely scrumptious recipe that originated in the cookbook
that came with my Cuisinart.  I've made some variations to it, and I hope
you like it as much as I do.  I've made this recipe with my KitchenAid and
also with my food processor (I have a 14-cup), and the results are excellent
either way.  I don't have a bread machine, but I'm sure it can be converted
satisfactorily.

Joan

Yummy Sandwich Bread
- --------------------

Yield:  2 standard-sized loaves (using loaf pans)

2 c. bread flour
1-1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 Tbsp. butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast (I use rapid-rise)
1 c. plus 3 Tbsp. cold or lukewarm water

Insert metal blade in work bowl of food processor.  Add flours, sugars,
salt, ginger, and butter; process for approx. 20 seconds.  Add yeast and
process for approximately 10 seconds more to fully mix the ingredients.

Add water; process until dough forms a ball in the work bowl.  Insert dough
blade and continue processing for approximately 2 minutes.  Remove dough to
greased glass container; cover loosely with tea towel or plastic wrap.

Set in a warm, draft-free location until doubled in bulk; punch down.  Repeat.

Punch down dough; divide into two equal-sized pieces.  Form into loaves and
place in lightly greased (I use Pam cooking spray) loaf pans.  Cover loosely
with tea towel or plastic wrap; place in warm, draft-free location until
dough reaches the top of the loaf pans.

Preheat oven to 375F.  Uncover loaves and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove
loaves from pans and place back into oven, baking for 10 more minutes.
Remove to cooling racks and cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.  If
freezing loaves for later use, cool thoroughly (about 90 minutes).

This recipe yields an extremely fluffy, airy loaf with a very pleasant
texture which is perfect for making toast and sandwiches.

NOTE:  I have doubled this recipe when using my KitchenAid with excellent
results.