DeAnn's breadmachine blues

eslingerf@Alpha.tkm.mb.ca
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 01:32:24 +0000
v006.n060.30
Dear Deann et al.,
I loved your letter. In August, I bought a Panasonic breadmachine and
from the start made beautiful breads. Everything from basic white to
specialty breads and they were all exquisite. Then one day in
December, at the end of the cycle, I opened the lid to take out the
loaf and it was a disaster. It had not risen well, was HEAVY and when
sliced was so coarse and moist, would have made peasant bread look
fine grained. In the following weeks, i had a variety of terrible
loaves and in that time changed flour a couple times, could open my
own yeast shop and since it was -40 outside decided that maybe my
kitchen and ingredients were too cold(the old outside wall worry). I
brought ingredients to room temperature to no avail and one evening
in despeation, brought everything down to our family room and went
through the process within 6 feet of our roaring fireplace. That was
probably the worst loaf of the siege.
During this time, I had a couple friends who were having less than
the desired results too. We decided that it was a good thing that the
ingredients aren't too expensive.
Just as suddenly, a week and a half ago, I made a loaf of great bread
again and since then every loaf has been beautiful.........Why and
how I don't know. It is still bitterly cold and my flour cannister is
on the outside wall, I am using the same flour and yeast,
flour......... I better be quiet or the machine may hear me and
decide I need another lesson in humility. I sincerely hope not.
I love the list.
Harriet Eslinger