The proof is in the... er... bread

arielle@taronga.com (Stephanie da Silva)
Mon, 01 Jan 1996 04:24:03 -0600 (CST)
v006.n056.10
> When making bread by hand, you proof the yeast before adding it to the
> liquid ingredients. You also mix the dry ingredients into the liquid
> ingredients.

Once in a fit of madness, I didn't proof the yeast but instead tossed
it dry into the flour, then kneaded it as usual.  That batch of dough
took *forever* to rise!  While trying to decide what was wrong with
the dough, I looked at it and could see the little granules of
undissolved yeast underneath the surface.  After that, I kept pulling
it out and kneading it but still, it took like 18 hours for the
first rise.

Eventually the yeast dissolved into the dough and the bread baked out
as usual (a couple days later).  Was a weird experiment in baking
bread.

> Graham Bread: use graham flour instead of whole wheat.

Really, I thought graham flour *was* whole wheat flour.