??re: adding ingredients in bread machine

cmathew@iadfw.net (Craig & Joan Mathew)
Sun, 17 Dec 1995 09:19:18 -0600 (CST)
v006.n054.11
>From: Cdluria@aol.com
>Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 00:25:18 -0500
>Subject: Re: Hitachi problems
>
> <other good recommendations snipped>
>The King Arthur Flour folks caution that salt will weaken the action of the
>yeast, so we make sure that the salt and water go in first, then the flour
>and other ingredients,  and the yeast last (or the other way about, if your
>machine calls for reverse order).

Hi all,
  Although I don't own a bread machine (I use my KitchenAid Proline or
Cuisinart 14-cup for kneading), I often read the posts about bread machines
with interest, and sometimes pick up some nice recipes.
  As I was reading the snippet above, I wondered why there would be any
particular sequence listed in adding ingredients to a bread machine?  I
understand that perhaps things like raisins would go in later, toward the
end of the kneading cycle.  Other than keeping the salt away from the yeast,
why would the initial sequence make any difference?  Is there some
mechanical architecture to these bread machines that mandates it?

Just wondering,
Joan