Re: Pre-made bread mixes as gifts

Sandal@aol.com
Mon, 6 Nov 1995 23:42:54 -0500
v006.n047.11
"Kelli Ealy" <KEALY@marvin.csrv.uidaho.edu> writes:

>I would like to put together some bread mixes as Christmas gifts for
>friends who have a bread machine.  I've never done this before and
>was wondering if anyone had any experience with this they could
>share.  Some of my basic questions are:  How long will the mixes
>keep?  Could yeast be included in the mix or would the receiver need
>to add this?  What are some of the recipes you used?

I was about to ask the same question! I'd like to make mixes Maybe between us
we can work up a repertoire of mixes. Personally, I think the yeast should
either be packaged separately or left out of the package completely. If it's
added to the mix, it may feed on the sugar or be affected by the salt--same
reason it's good to keep the yeast away from those things when using timer
mode. I've noticed that store-bought mixes usually provide the yeast
inseparate packets.

I plan to look through my recipe collection in search of recipes in which
most of the ingredients do not need refrigeration for short-term storage.
I'll write directions on the package--probably ziplock bags--for what needs
to be added, and recommend the mixes be refrigerated if they're not going to
be used pretty soon. That way I can use things like whole grain flours, which
can sour, and nuts and such.

The fewer ingredients have to be added by the user, the mosre convenient the
mix will be. Flour, sugar, salt, various cereals, etc., are obvious. Milk is
no problem; I use dry milk and dry buttermilk all the time. Eggs I could add
in powdered form, but I've never used them so I want to test the theory
first. But I don't know what to do about things like oil, and some recipes
are just so much better with honey or molasses rather than sugar. These
things are fine at room temperature, but so messy.  Any suggestions?

Sandi