Sourdough recipes

Gerard_Mcmahon@ftdetrck-ccmail.army.mil
Tue, 17 Oct 95 08:59:01 EST
v006.n043.7
     Hi all,

     Since I started bringing bread to work, one of the denizens has been
     requesting sourdough bread.

     The starter recipe follows.  After that is a starter batter recipe.
     The author uses it rather than the starter so he doesn't have to start
     over each time he wants to make sourdough bread.

     The two recipes that follow the batter recipe are my first two
     attempts at sourdough bread.  I gave them both to the JCL expert here
     at the Info Center, at whose many requests I began the whole sourdough
     thing to begin with.

     He cut up the cornbread one and I got great comments back from my
     coworkers.  They didn't seem to mind it as much as the really great
     fudge I brought in last week.

     Have a nice day,

     Gerry

     *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

     Sourdough Starter

     Recipe By     : Norman Garrett : Quick & Delicious Bread Machine
     Categories    : Norman Garrett                   Sourdough

     1      cup           skim milk
     3      tablespoons   plain yogurt
     1      cup           flour

     Warm a quart jar or similar container by filling it with hot tap water
     and letting it sit for a few minutes.

     Heat the skim milk to 110 degrees, remove from the heat and stir in
     the yogurt.

     Drain the water from the jar and wipe it dry.

     Pour the milk - yogurt mixture into the jar and cover it.  Plastic lid
     recommended.  I rubber banded a piece of plastic wrap over the top.

     Place the mixture in a warm place and let it proof for 24 hours.  For
     my warm place I placed the jar on top of the stove near a pilot light
     for the burners.

     Stir in the flour.  Cover and leave in a warm place for three to five
     days.  Mine was ready in 3 days.

     At the end of the period the starter should be bubbly and about the
     consistency of pancake batter.  When it has reached this point put it
     in the refrigerator for storage.

     At this point I went directly to the starter batter recipe - so I
     didn't refrigerate the starter first.

     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

     *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

     Sourdough Starter Batter

     Recipe By     : Norman Garrett : Quick & Delicious Bread Machine
     Categories    : Norman Garrett                   Sourdough

     1 1/2  cups          sourdough starter
     1 1/2  cups          flour
     1      cup           skim milk -- warm

     Remove the sourdough starter from the refrigerator and allow it to
     reach room temperature ( about 6 hours).

     Place 1 1/2 cups of starter in a 2 quart mixing bowl.  Put the rest of
     the starter back in the refrigerator.

     Add the flour and skim milk and mix well.  The batter should have the
     consistency of light pancake batter.

     Cover the bowl lightly ( I used a dish towel held on by a small
     notebook) and let it proof for 8 to 12 hours in a 85 to 90 degree
     area.

     After proofing use what batter you need for your bread. ( It can stay
     out for up to 3 days)  Make sure you save at least 1 1/2 cups to
     replenish your starter.

     Return the remaining batter to the starter jar.  Stir and refrigerate.

     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

     *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

     Forty Niner Sourdough Bread

     Recipe By     : Norman Garrett : Quick & Delicious Bread Machine
     recipes Serving Size  : 1    Preparation Time :0:00
     Categories    : Norman Garrett                   Sourdough

     -----  ------------  --------------------------------
     1 1/2  teaspoons     sugar
     1 1/2  teaspoons     salt
     3      cups          bread flour
       1/2  cup           sourdough starter batter
       3/4  cup           water -- warm

     Place ingredients in the machine in the order listed.

     Use the dough setting if you have it, otherwise stop the machine after
     the dough is completely mixed.

     Set the machine for a timed bake.  Give the sourdough 6 to 8 hours to
     rise before the bake cycle begins.

     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

     *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

     Sourdough Cornmeal Bread

     Recipe By: Bread Machine Baking : Perfect Every Time  - Lora Brody
     Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
     Categories    : Lora Brody                       Sourdough
     Yeast                            Zo

     2      teaspoons     yeast
     2      tablespoons   nonfat dry milk powder -- or skim
     2      tablespoons   wheat germ
     2      tablespoons   wheat bran
     1      cup           flour
     1      cup           whole-wheat flour
     1      cup           corn meal, yellow
     1 1/2  teaspoons     salt
     1      cup           sourdough starter batter
     2      tablespoons   honey
     1      cup           water

     Have all the ingredients at room temperature.  Put in the machine -
     program for dough and press start.

     At the end of the cycle punch the dough down and place it in a loaf
     pan.  (Spray/grease and flour the pan if you have to,  Mine doesn't
     require it)

     Let it rise uncovered in a warm draft free area for 1 hour.

     Preheat the oven to 350 and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until well
     browned.