Re: First bread machine

Sandal@aol.com
Sun, 2 Jul 1995 16:15:20 -0400
v006.n027.11
David Colker <colker@news.latimes.com> writes:

>Just bought my first bread making machine (I normally make bread by hand
>weekly during the winter months, but it just heats up the kitchen too
>much in the summer in L.A.), and I already have my first disaster.

>Bought an Oster, which makes both 1.5 and 1 lb. loaves. For the first
>loaf, I used a Krusteaz sourdough bread machine mix just to give it a
>tryout. The loaf hardly rose - it's supposed to be 1.5 lb, but it's only
>about 4" high. Still cooling off a bit, but I assume that at this
>density, it is probably not done inside, or at the very least, probably
>not a good texture.
<snip>

It sounds like it just didn't rise enough. Well, let's start with the
obvious. Did you remember to add the yeast? It comes in a separate packet.
What about your water temperature? If it was too hot, it could kill the
yeast. If it was too cool, the yeast wouldn't activate. Of course, if you're
used to making bread by hand, you probably already know about that. Did you
use the timer? If so, did you remember to keep the yeast away from the water
so that it wouldn't activate too soon? Did you use a quick mode?--they don't
rise as much.

Since it was a mix, I'll assume that the ingredients were all in their proper
proportions. But how old was it? Could it be that it had sat on the shelf too
long before you got it? The yeast may be too old. I've had pretty good luck
with Krusteaz mixes.

Don't give up on your machine. We've all had hockey pucks now and then.
Sometimes it's just the weather. Try again, maybe from a basic recipe from
your owner's manual. Or try one of these.

Sandi F. in Fayetteville, Arkansas

=========================

Alice's 7 Grain Bread
(for 1 1/2 lb loaf)
1 1/2 c  Wheat flour
1 1/2 c  Bread flour
1/3 c  Seven grain mix
2 T  Honey
1 1/2 t  Salt
1 3/8 c  Water
2 T  Canola Oil
1 1/2 t  Yeast

Bake on RapidBake/Whole Wheat or on Basic/Whole Wheat.

>From the Files of Alice in Houston <A.BROADDUS@genie.geis.com>

=========================

Dede's Buttermilk Bread

                          1 lb loaf         1 1/2 lb loaf
yeast                       1/2 T               2t
bread flour                 2 c                 3 c
salt                        1 t                 1 1/2 t
margarine                   1 T                 1 T
honey                       2 T                 3 T
buttermilk*                 7/8 c               1 1/8 c

Use light crust setting.
If desired, use buttermilk powder and water.

from Rehberg & Conway, Bread Machine Magic