Sourdough Recipes (ABM)

Joel.Ehrlich@salata.com (Joel Ehrlich)
19 May 95 16:55:16 -0800
v006.n021.10
Karen Mintzias wrote about Menu Management Program Suggestion to
Joel Ehrlich on 18 May 95  16:34:41 saying...
 KM> I think it needs to be mentioned however, that Meal-Master is a
 KM> full-fledged database program, with boolean search mechanisms
 KM> available for ALL parts of a recipe, shopping lists, resizing, and
 KM> Metric-English conversions, while Qbook is basically a shell that
 KM> allows archiving of text and searching on user-specified "keywords".
 KM> ObBreadStuff:  My sourdough starter (made with only flour, water and a
 KM> bit of fruitsource syrup) seems to be thriving at long last, and now
 KM> I'd like to start making bread with it. Anyone have any tips on doing
 KM> sourdough in a Hitachi 201 machine?  How much starter do I need to use
 KM> for a regular loaf?

 There are a lot of recipes for sourdough bread in bread machines. Some
 are authentic (they don't use yeast). Some are less so (they do).
 Some use a sponge to sour the dough, some don't. All use some kind of
 timing trick to get the time needed for the bread to rise. I have tried
 all of those which follow. All produce great bread (with MY starter
 from Dick Adams). Let us know how they work with yours.

 Best Machine Sourdough Bread (ABM)    No. 3327         Yields 1 Loaf

   3/4 Tbls      Yeast                      1 Tbls      Oil
 2 1/4 Cups      Bread Flour                1 Cup       Sourdough Starter
     1 Tbls      Sugar                    1/2 Cup       Warm Water
     1 tsp       Salt

All ingredients except the water should be at room temperature before
starting.
Add the ingredients to the pan in the order listed.
Select "White Bread".
Press "Start".
~~~ Adapted by Joan Mershon from a recipe by Helen Fleischer

 Multi Grain Sourdough Bread (ABM)    No. 3217          Yields 1 Loaf

     2 tsp       Dry Yeast                  3 Tbls      Cracked Wheat (use
   3/4 Cup       Rye Four                               Wheatena Cereal)
     2 Cups      Whole Wheat Flour          1 tsp       Salt
 1 1/2 Cups      Bread Flour                4 Tbls      Molasses
     3 Tbls      Wheat Germ                 3 Tbls      Olive Oil
     3 Tbls      Oat Bran                 1/2 Cup       Sourdough Starter
   1/2 Cup       Corn Meal                  2 Cups      Warm Water
     2 Tbls      Gluten

Add the ingredients to the pan in the order listed.
Select "White Bread".
Press "Start".
~~~ Sharon Stevens

 Wesley Pitts' Sourdough Bread (ABM)    No. 3445        Yields 1 Loaf

     3 Cups      Bread Flour              1/2 tsp       Baking Powder
   1/2 Cup       Sourdough Starter        1/2 tsp       Salt
     1 Tbls      Sugar                      1 Cup       Warm Water
     1 Tbls      Butter

All ingredients should be slightly above room temperature before starting.
Add the ingredients to the pan in the order listed.
Select "White Dough".
Press "Start".
At the completion of the dough cycle, select "Whole Wheat Bread" and commence
a delayed start cycle due to complete in 8 1/2 hours.
~~~ Wesley Pitts

 Sourdough French Bread (ABM)    No. 3204               Yields 1 Loaf

   1/2 Tbls      Yeast                      1 tsp       Salt
 2 1/4 Cups      Bread Flour              1/2 Cup       Water, Tepid
     1 Cup       Sourdough Starter
     1 Tbls      Sugar

Add all the ingredients to the pan in the sequence listed.
Select "French Bread".
Press "Start".
Slowly drizzle the water into the machine while it is running.
Add water until the dough forms a rough ball which cleans the sides of the
pan.
If there is a wet smear under the dough paddle, slowly add flour until the
smear is gone.
Let the dough knead for a few minutes.
There should be no wet smear under the dough paddle and the dough should have
a slightly tacky feel to it (your finger should come away clean).
If the dough feels dry instead of slightly tacky, add a just a few drops of
water.
NOTE: You may replace  1/2 cup of bread flour with  1/2 cup of rye flour
and add 1 teaspoon of caraway seed to make a sourdough rye bread.
~~~ Joyce Monschein

Joel

... Error #21234 ... Hard Drive playing dead to scare user.