Bread knives

phyllis.johnpoll@ncsl.org (Phyllis Johnpoll)
Thu, 6 Apr 1995 14:03:00 GMT
v006.n015.5
I am almost embarrassed to admit what I use as a bread knife. I went to
a home show and got one of those "special deals" from the Ginsu knife
people. You know the ones, "two for the price of one and we'll even
throw in all these extra knives we couldn't unload anyway"? Well, one of
the knives was a butcher knife kind of thing (I don't know the technical
terms, but that's what it looked like to me.) I'd never seen a serrated
butcher knife before, so when I got home and pulled the fresh loaf out
of the DAK, I tried using it to slice the still slightly warm bread. I
was pleasantly surprised to find that it sliced the bread as thin as I
wanted with minimal loss of structural integrity (I use big words
whenever possible - it makes 'em think I know what I'm talking about!)

I have discovered that the type of bread that slices best is egg bread
(I use the recipe from BREAD MACHINE MAGIC.) And the rye I made from a
Krusteaz mix sliced well and tasted good, but barely rose. (In fact, all
the Krusteaz mixes I tried had problems of one kind or another. Mostly
they tasted nasty, although the french herb mix smelled nice while
rising.)

I have as yet to get any good results with any of the Sally Lunn recipes
I've tried, and my husband keeps begging me to try again because he has
such fond memories of it from growing up. Does anyone know of a good one
for the bread machine? I tried BREAD MACHINE MAGIC, THE ULTIMATE BREAD
MACHINE COOKBOOK and one other (can't remember which.) Is there a trick
to this that I am missing?

BTW, I haven't seen my DAK cookbook in over a year (never used it in the
first place) but since mine was bought used, I never had instructions.
If someone would please e-mail me such simple directions as how to use
the timer, I'd be grateful. I have managed to get it to work twice but
that was sheer luck and I don't have any clue which buttons I pushed in
which order.

*BB*

phyllis