Sunken Loaves

Joel.Ehrlich@salata.com (Joel Ehrlich)
08 Feb 95 09:00:52 -0800
v006.n007.13
 BR> I got a Toastmaster bread machine which I really like (makes 1-1/2
 BR> pound  loaves, is quiet, etc.) - but I'm having a terrible time with
 BR> sunken  loaves.  I watch the moisture content while the dough is being
 BR> kneaded,  so I don't think it's too much moisture - which leaves me
 BR> with the  conclusion that it's too much yeast.  (the loaves rise very
 BR> nicely and  then sink during the baking time)

 BR> I'm using Red Star active dry yeast (not the rapid rise) - and
 BR> generally  make recipes out of Donna German's books.  It's becoming
 BR> quite expensive  to keep flopping all these loaves of bread, since I
 BR> use quite a lot of  the different recipes using all the "fun"
 BR> ingredients - various whole  grains, cereals, fruits, nuts, etc.

 BR> Has anyone else had to cut the yeast back quite drastically?  I have
 BR> one  cookbook (Better Homes & Gardens Bread Machine Bounty) in which
 BR> almost  all the recipes call for 1 t. of yeast regardless of whether
 BR> making a 1  lb. or a 1-1/2 lb. loaf.

 BR> On the other hand, the recipe book that came with my machine has
 BR> recipes  that call for 2 or more teaspoons - I'm sure reluctant to try
 BR> that!

Sunken loaves are almost always an indiciation of too much liquid in the mix.
Too much yeast will not cause the bread to fall, it will turn in to a
"Mushroom", blossoming out over the top of the pan and pressing against the lid
of the machine.

Try this, add only 2/3 of the liquid called for in the recipe. Start the
machine and let it run for a minute or two. Keep the machine running but open
the cover. The dough should be grainly and rough and may not even have formed
a ball. Add liquid, 1 teaspoon at a time, waiting 30 seconds or so after each
addition, until the doughball forms with a smooth, soft, silky texture (reach
right in and touch it).

If you add too much liquid, the walls of the pan with be wet and there may be a
smear of dough on the bottom of the pan. Add flour, 1 teaspoon at a time,
waiting 30 to 45 seconds after each addition, until you have a soft, smooth
textured ball of dough with a silky feel.

Add 1 more teaspoon of flour, close the cover and go away until your perfect
loaf of bread is finished.

Joel

... Can you repeat the part after "Listen carefully..."?