Re: BREAD Digest V6 #6

Joel.Ehrlich@salata.com (Joel Ehrlich)
08 Feb 95 09:15:06 -0800
v006.n007.2
Responding to: Brian Hostetler <brianh@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>

 BR> I made pizza dough the other day and put fresh garlic in it (pressed).
 BR> The dough didn't rise and had a crumbly texture.  Has anyone
 BR> successfully added garlic to their dough?

 I have been working in response to a challenge to mage garlic bread in a
bread machine. While I still have a long way to go, I can tell you that
garlic will flatten a loaf at least as well as too much salt. I have found
that I must use more yeast than without the garlic, that the addition of
a little citric acid works wonders and that I must add gluten if I want
a nice loft to the loaf of bread.

 I have not yet worked out all the ramifications and haven't yet tried to apply
any of these lessons to pizza dough. However, I would stay away from minced
garlic, powdered garlic and garlic oil. So far, I have had my best success
using roasted garlic mashed and combined with the liquid portion of the recipe.
It's worth seeing if that will help you with pizza dough.

Joel

... Keyboard not available - Press <F1> to continue.