Wheat free Banana Nut Bread

schapin@mitre.org (Susan Chapin)
Thu, 5 Jan 95 13:27:32 EST
v006.n002.5
Here is another Banana bread recipe.  It is wheat starch free, but contains
gluten, and tastes marvelous.  This recipe is for a Breadman machine;
adapt as necessary.  Be sure to mix in the gluten until very well
distributed, as described.  I keep all my flours in the refrigerator, and
warm the mixed flours in the microwave just before starting the bread.

Yeast:  2 1/4 tsp

Dry group:
(measure into mixing bowl, stir until well blended to evenly distribute the
gluten, either let come to room temperature or warm in microwave until
slightly warm)

1/2 cup gluten
1 cup kamut flour
3/4 cup + 2 TB brown rice flour
1/4 cup soy flour
1/2 cup amaranth flour
1/4 cup oat bran

Wet group:

1 TB water (adjust to compensate for different sizes of egg and banana)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 TB Sucanat
2 TB canola oil
1 TB molassas
1/2 tsp nutmeg or a bit more
1 1/3 cup very ripe bananas (3 large), mashed
1/2 tsp lecithin (optional)
1 1/4 tsp salt

Add 8 minutes before end of knead cycle:

3/4 cup walnuts, pieces and halves, toasted 7 minutes at 275 degrees and
cooled a bit

Susan Chapin,  schapin@mitre.org
The MITRE Corporation, McLean, VA
Phone:  703/883-3610  FAX:  703/883-1397