Re: Rye bread recipie for bread machines

"Michael J. Plewa" <plewa@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Mon, 5 Dec 94 13:36:07 CST
v005.n047.6
One of the problems with bread machines is that the density of
whole grain or rye breads can approach that of neutron star
material. So after experimenting with a number of variable I have
a never-fail lighter, aromatic rye bread recipe that is great for
slicing and sandwich making. I use a Hitachi HB-B201+ bread
machine.

Caraway Seed Rye Bread

1 1/4 cups of water (I heat the water for 1 min in a microwave
and pour it into the bread machine pan).

1 1/2 tablespoons of butter or vegetable shortening.

2 1/2 cups of bread flour

3/4 cups of rye flour

3 tablespoons of sugar

1 teaspoon of salt

1 tablespoon of dry milk

1 tablespoon of caraway seed

2 tablespoon of wheat gluten

2 1/2 teaspoons of dry yeast

After the dough has kneaded for about 5 min I make sure that its
composition is a solid twirling ball. If the dough looks overly
sticky or is smearing around in the bread pan I add bread flour
in 1 tablespoon amounts until the dough firms up. This will
prevent the collapse of the center of the loaf during the second
rise.  The bread machine is set to the "bread" menu
and the bread color setting is set to medium.

Michael Plewa, Urbana, IL