salt

michelle.campbell@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michelle Campbell)
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 14:21:12 +1300
v005.n040.14
I've been baking bread (by hand) since the beginning of the year.  I think
I've got things pretty much right (thank you, bread gods!), but I'm curious
about one thing... why do all the bread recipes I have include salt?  My
SO, who takes turns with the bread making, left the salt out once (by
accident or design, I can't remember which) and the result was wonderful -
it rose more quickly and produced a very tasty loaf.  Is it an historical
thing, designed to be a preservative (not a chance in our house - I made 2
loaves last night and have 1-1/4 left!), or is it there for flavour?  One
thing I do know is that it inhibits the yeast action, but then again why
subject our yeastie friends to any more stress than necessary?

Anybody out there know?

Confused,
Miche

Michelle Campbell
Internet: michelle.campbell@stonebow.otago.ac.nz

Diplomacy is but the continuation of war by other means.
     - Chou En-Lai, Chinese statesman