Home Bread-Bakers v005.n040.14

michelle.campbell@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michelle Campbell)
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 14:21:12 +1300
I've been baking bread (by hand) since the beginning of the year.  I think
I've got things pretty much right (thank you, bread gods!), but I'm curious
about one thing... why do all the bread recipes I have include salt?  My
SO, who takes turns with the bread making, left the salt out once (by
accident or design, I can't remember which) and the result was wonderful -
it rose more quickly and produced a very tasty loaf.  Is it an historical
thing, designed to be a preservative (not a chance in our house - I made 2
loaves last night and have 1-1/4 left!), or is it there for flavour?  One
thing I do know is that it inhibits the yeast action, but then again why
subject our yeastie friends to any more stress than necessary?

Anybody out there know?

Michelle Campbell
Internet: michelle.campbell@stonebow.otago.ac.nz

Diplomacy is but the continuation of war by other means.
     - Chou En-Lai, Chinese statesman