French bread with wine instead of water

ace@tidbits.halcyon.com (Adam C. Engst)
Sat, 29 Feb 1992 09:03:00 GMT
v003.n008.3
Has anyone tried substituting white wine for water in the French bread

recipe? I'm definitely going to try it, but was interested in others'
experiences too.

1) Will the alcohol mess with the yeast, preventing it from rising
properly? The solution to this would be to heat the wine to drive
off the alcohol (out out damn alcohol!) :-)

2) What sort of wine would be good, do you think? A dry white, a sweet
white, etc? I think the reds might color the bread strangely.

cheers ... -Adam

      Adam C. Engst             |     We sharpen the cutting edge.
Editor of TidBITS, the weekly   |   "The best way to predict the future
electronic industry newsletter  |         is to invent it."   -Alan Kay
            ace@tidbits.halcyon.com  -or-  ace@tidbits.uucp
     info@tidbits.halcyon.com (for more information about TidBITS)