Welbilt Breadmaker Recipe Scaling

kla@karen.webo.dg.com (Karen Plaskon)
Mon, 7 Oct 1991 09:04:00 GMT
v002.n022.4
Hi.  In response to your question about getting recipes scaled to your

machine, I can give you some help.  I have the same machine that you
do, i.e., Welbilt ABM350-1.  I have the "free" DAK recipe book that
they send you to try to get you to buy their machine, and I've been
experimenting with bread recipes from there.  Basically, I've found
that if I use the proportions from one of the Welbilt basic recipes
and scale the rest of the ingredients to match that, it works pretty
well.  I use:
1 1/2 tsp yeast
2 C bread flour (or non bread flour + gluten)
1 C liquid
1 T sugar
1 tsp salt

I generally scale the other ingredients to match the change I've made
to the flour proportions.  Another trick I've found useful, is to
check the loaf towards the end of the last rising period to make sure
that it's not overflowing (I've had a few problems with the dough
overflowing onto the heating element.  What a mess!).  If it looks
like it's getting too high, you can poke it down with a fork or
toothpick, then make a smaller batch next time.  Here are some of my
favorite scaled down recipes from that book.  By the way, I really
love this little book that DAK has so kindly sent me.  I am not
planning to buy their bread machine (since I already have one!) but
would be really interested in seeing some more of the recipes they say
they start sending once you buy their machine.  Please post some!

Beer Cheese Bread (great during football season)
=================
1 1/2 tsp yeast
2 C Bread Flour
1 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1 T butter
8 oz flat beer (warm in micro or on stove)
3-4 oz American cheese
3-4 oz cubed Jack cheese
(use enough cheese to make 7 oz-I use 7 oz of Jack, but that's pretty
heavy)

Maple Oatmeal (great for breakfast-sweet)
=============
1 1/2 tsp yeast
3/4 C Quick cooking Quaker Oats
2 C bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 C maple syrup
1 T oil
1 C very warm water

Spaghetti Bread (great with Italian meals)
===============
1 1/2 tsp yeast
2 C bread flour
1 T sugar