Salt Rising Bread

C5CX9J%IRISHMVS.CC.ND.EDU@UICVM.uic.edu
Thu, 12 Sep 1991 09:02:00 GMT
v002.n018.2
John,

The problem is, you are looking in the wrong cook books; they're
obviously too new.  The following two recipes come from Marion
Harland's Complete Cook Book, published in 1903.  NOTE: I have not
tried these two recipes and do not know how they would (or if they
would) work in the bread machines.  Since my schedule is really
busy these days you will no doubt try them before I do and I would
appreciate knowing how they come out.  Thanks.

These are being typed just as they appear in the cook book.  If you
have difficulties or questions, feel free to email.   First time
experiences with recipes written in the old-fashioned way can be,
shall we say, interesting.  Here are a few hints and/or translations
to get you started in case you need help.
     -Most of us, these days, do not have wooden bowls large enough
      for such an operation.  Not to worry, use ceramic, glass, or
      even plastic.  Using metal is *not* recommended.
     -Blood-warm is that temperature at which you give a baby a
      bottle; you know, when you drop it on your wrist it is neither
      hot nor cold.
     -You will note that no temperatures are given.  Using the
      setting for your favorite bread recipes is, most likely the
      best (at least to start with).  Remember that in 1903 many
      women were still cooking on wood cook stoves.
     -"...pitcher, deep and of narrow mouth..." does not really
      have to be a pitcher but the deep and narrow is to facilitate
      the fermenting so do use a vessel that is deep and narrow.
      Again, no metal.
These are the most obvious possible questions I could see--email if
any more.

'SALT RISING' BREAD (No. 1)

(An old Virginia recipe)

     Dissolve a half-teaspoonful of salt in two cups of scalding
water, and beat in gradually enough flour to make a very soft
dough.  Beat for ten minutes, cover and set in a very warm place
for eight hours.  Now stir a teaspoonful of salt into a pint of
lukewarm milk and add enough flour to make a stiff batter before
working it into the risen dough.  Mix thouroughly, cover, and set
again in a warm place to rise until very light.  Turn into a
wooden bowl and knead in enough flour to make the batter of the
consistency of ordinary bread dough.  Make into loaves and set
those these to rise, and, when light, bake.

'SALT RISING' BREAD (No. 2)

(Contributed)

     Put a quart of warm water,--not scalding hot, but at blood-
heat,--into a pitcher, deep and of narrow mouth.  Beat into it one
teaspoonful of sugar, one-half teaspoonful of salt, a lump of soda
not larger than a pea and (not necessarily, but preferably) a
tablespoonful of corn-meal, with enough flour to make a rather
thick, but not really stiff, batter.  Set your pitcher, well covered,
into a stone jar or other deep vessel, and surround it with blood-
warm water, setting it where such temperature will be quite evenly
maintained.  Never allow it to reach scalding heat.  In two and a
half hours, or, at the very most, three and a half, you will have
foaming yeast.  Now take a pan of flour, make a hhole in the center,
pour in the foaming yeast with as much water, gradually mixed with
the yeast and flour, as will make the number of loaves desired.  Do
not make the dough very stiff.  It should quake visibly when the pan
is shaken.  Cover well with dry flour and clean cloths, set in a
warm place (temperature 80 degrees or 100 degrees Fahrenheit, or
thereabouts), and, as soon as light, knead into loaves, which will
soon rise enough for baking.  Do not delay baking after the last
rising, or your bread may have a slightly sour taste.  Bake thoroughly,
and no better or more wholesome fermented bread could be asked for.

Enjoy and remember:  old bread bakers never die; they just become
very well "bread".

Wendy
Wendy Campbell                     *   *   *   *   *
c5cx9j@irishmvs.cc.nd.edu         |/ |/ |/ |/ |/
Take time to smell the flowers     *   *   *   *   *