Recipes

blue@azure.cam.nist.gov (Jim Blue)
Tue, 11 Dec 90 09:31:46 EST
v001.n012.2
I've had my DAK bread maker for over a year now. Here are a few of my
favorite recipes:

Masa Bread

    1 pkg    yeast
    1 tsp    salt
    1 Tbsp   sugar
  1/2 Cup    masa harina
2 1/2 Cup    bread flour
    2 Tbsp   nonfat dry milk powder
    1 Tbsp   oil
1 3/8 Cup    very warm water (exact quantity depends on humidity, etc.)

This goes especially well with chili. For variety, try adding 1 or 2
teaspoons of cumin and/or chili powder.

Note: masa harina is available in the flour section of many grocery
stores, certainly in any Latin-American grocery.

    * * * * *

Oatmeal Bourbon Bread

    1 pkg    yeast
    1 Cup    rolled oats (plain old Quaker Oats from the cylindrical box)
    3 Cup    bread flour
    1 tsp    salt
    2 Tbsp   sugar
    1 Tbsp   nonfat dry milk powder
    2 Tbsp   bourbon whiskey
1 1/4 Cup    very warm water

The original recipe, whose source is lost, had Irish Cream instead of
the nonfat milk and bourbon.

    * * * * *

Rosemary Garlic Bread
    (adapted from Bernard Clayton's _Complete Book of Bread_, p. 464)

    1 pkg    yeast
    1 Cup    whole wheat flour
    2 Cup    unbleached flour
    1 tsp    salt
    1 tsp    freshly ground pepper
    2 Tbsp   oil
1 1/2 tsp    minced garlic in oil, or 1 - 2 cloves of crushed fresh garlic
    1 Tbsp   dried parsley
    1 tsp    dried rosemary
1 1/2 tsp    dried oregano
1 1/4 Cup    very warm water

- --
Jim Blue
Center for Computing and Applied Mathematics