Brick-Oven Pizza (Brick-Oven)

Wed, 27 Nov 2019 20:41:03 -0800
v119.n048.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Pizza, Brick-Oven (Brooklyn Style)

Recipe By     :CDM68
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Italian                         Posted

   1           teaspoon  active dry yeast
      1/4           cup  warm water
   1                cup  cold water
   1           teaspoon  salt
   3               cups  bread flour
   6             ounces  low moisture mozzarella cheese -- thinly sliced
      1/2           cup  no salt added canned crushed tomatoes
      1/4      teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
      1/2      teaspoon  dried oregano
   3        tablespoons  extra-virgin olive oil
   6                     fresh basil -- leaves torn

This is a simple recipe for authentic brick-oven pizza made famous by
several, well-known Brooklyn pizzerias.

Prep: 25 min
Cook: 6 min
Ready In: 16:31

Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a large bowl. Let stand for 5
minutes to proof. Stir in salt and cold water, then stir in the flour
about 1 cup at a time. When the dough is together enough to remove
from the bowl, knead on a floured surface until smooth, about 10
minutes. Divide into two pieces, and form each one into a tight ball.
Coat the dough balls with olive oil, and refrigerate in a sealed
container for at least 16 hours. Be sure to use a big enough
container to allow the dough to rise. Remove the dough from the
refrigerator one hour prior to using.

Preheat the oven, with a pizza stone on the lowest rack, to 550F.
Lightly dust a pizza peel with flour.

Using one ball of dough at a time, lightly dust the dough with flour,
and stretch gradually until it is about 14" in diameter, or about as
big around as the pizza stone. Place on the floured peel. Place thin
slices of mozzarella over the crust, then grind a liberal amount of
black pepper over it. Sprinkle with dried oregano. Randomly arrange
crushed tomatoes, leaving some empty areas. Drizzle olive oil over the top.

With a quick back and forth jerk, make sure the dough will release
from the peel easily. Place the tip of the peel at the back of the
preheated pizza stone, and remove peel so that the pizza is left on the stone.

Bake for 4 to 6 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the crust
begins to brown. Remove from the oven by sliding the peel beneath the
pizza. Sprinkle a few basil leaves randomly over the pizza. Cut into
wedges and serve.

Cal 145, Fat 5g, Carb 19g, Sod 213mg, Fiber 0.8g, Pro 6g

Review: I first made this about 3 years go, and it's still in my
regular rotation. This is the perfect pizza crust! The dough freezes
beautifully. I use crushed tomatoes usually. This is a phoenomenal
recipe!01/13/11 UPDATE: I decided last minute to make this yesterday
for dinner last night. I had 4 hours. I made the dough adding about
1/4 cup semolina for a little of the bread flour and adding a pinch
of sugar to the yeast mixture. I left on the counter to rise for
about an hour then moved to the garage (very cool there!) and left
for 2 hours before bringing back to the kitchen for the last hour to
warm up. It turned out fantastic. While the flavor may not be quite
as full as an overnight rest, it's possible to make this same day and
still have the same great crispy-chewy texture and very good flavor.
DH said last night's was the best crust ever in fact! This recipe
truly makes a superior crust.

Review: This recipe works GREAT!! And, actually, there IS a reason
for the long, 16 hour chilled rise... it allows the dough to
"ferment" which REALLY adds to the flavor. DON'T wimp out and use the
dough the same day... it will taste MUCH more authentic if you follow
the directions as given... it can even go a little longer than 16
hours without a problem. Be sure to preheat your stone and oven for
at least an hour... and to make the "brick oven" experience even
better, I have a second stone on the rack above so that heat is
generated from the top, too. Thanks for this great recipe!

Review: Very good recipe. Overnight proof is required as this recipe
does not use sugar to active the yeast. DO NOT skip this step; no
matter what others say. I, like most, made certain changes to the
dough to accomdate our needs: I used 2 cups whole wheat flour and one
of all purpose (high gluten bread flour would have been to tough with
the WW). I also mixed a teaspoon each of granulated garlic and mixed
italian spices into the dough -- gives the dough a real nice twist.
Also did a 50/50 mixture of hand-grated mozzarella and parmesan with
a drizzle of EVOO at the end. The guests LOVED it; hope this helps -- enjoy.

Review: Used only the pizza crust recipe and it was excellent. My
husband said it was the best. The crust had a perfect texture. It was
better than the pizza from the local pizzeria. We both said we may
never buy pizza out again.

Review: This is the best pizza crust recipe I've found. I've been
making pizzas for over 10 yrs. as the only delivery in our area is
Dominos, which my husband doesn't care for. I've lost count of how
many dough recipes I've tried..some basic, some very involved. A few
were fairly good, some downright awful. This one is easy and makes a
delicious crust every time. I switched one cup all purpose flour for
one cup bread flour and added 1/4 tsp. garlic powder to the crushed
tomatoes. After the dough is formed, I brush on a little olive oil,
spread the sauce, sprinkle with dried oregano and grated cheese, then
top with mozzarella cheese and drizzle a little olive oil over the
top. This is so good my husband would have it every night of the week
if it were up to him.

Review: This has become our favorite crust recipe. I cook the pizza
on a pizza stone and it comes out perfect everytime. Just a little
tip that I have found helpful- I use corn meal instead of flour on my
peel to help the pizza slide off smoothly,it also tastes better- when
I used flour I did not like the flour taste that resulted from the
flour that stuck to bottom of crust.

Review: Though this pizza was made in my wood fired oven. Following
the directions below makes an excellent pizza indoors. Just be sure
and get your oven and stone pre-heated. I pre-heat indoors for at
least 50 mins. This is a very nice recipe. I made changes to sauce. I
also use a dough recipe I like that has an overnight ferment for
added flavor. Added garlic minced to the sauce with San Marzano
tomatoes and baked in my wood fired oven. If you have trouble
handling pizza dough directly on a peel. Just use parchment paper
under your pizza. Top it and slide it into the oven from the back of
a pizza paddle or a cookie sheet if you don't have a paddle.

Review: Yum! This made a very crisp crust, which I've been looking
for, for a long time. I've been using wheat flour and not getting the
results I want, but the bread flour was just the ticket. I made my
own sauce in the food processor: 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes
(drained), and 1 tsp each garlic salt, dried oregano and dried basil.
I was conservative with the cheese and sauce so the crust would be
crunchy, but next time, after the crust has crisped up, I'll add a
little more of each. Just a note, I know at 550, my stone will burn
my crust, so I kept the temp at 400 and after 5 mins, turned the
pizza around halfway, and after another 3 to 4 mins I put it on the
rack above off the stone for 3 minutes. I pulled it out and let it
sit on the stone for about 5 minutes to finish crisping. Thanks for a
great recipe!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/70801/brick-oven-pizza-brooklyn-style

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 152 Calories; 6g Fat (33.5%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 179mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2
Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

NOTES : 2019 - 1127