recipes

Joan Ross <butterflyflour@gmail.com>
Sun, 26 Nov 2017 12:20:44 -0500
v117.n047.1
Made the following for Thanksgiving, great anytime!

Down-east Maine Pumpkin Bread
source: All Recipes

My Note: very mellow flavor, soft texture, suitable in the bread
basket with assorted other breads. Not at all overly sweet as many
pumpkin quick breads.

I baked in a large 9 x5 loaf pan, almost an hour until tested done
with toothpick. Wrapped in foil overnight.

This freezes well

Ingredients
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf
pans.

In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and
sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the
flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir
the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour
into the prepared pans.  Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated
oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out
clean.

Chocolate Chip Scones
Source Pinterest

My note: Yummy, do not substitute for the heavy cream!
These freeze well

2 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. sugar (plus a bit more for sprinkling on top)
1 1/4 c. heavy cream
3/4 c. chocolate chips
later for brushing on before baking:
2 T. melted butter

Chocolate chips: I use semi-sweet, special dark are excellent,
too. Use mini-chips or regular as you please.

Heat oven to 425F.

You need a large mixing bowl, a fork or whisk, a spatula, a clean
space to knead, and a good cookie sheet (ungreased).

Mix dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, salt, 1/4
c. sugar). Whisk or fluff with a fork to mix.

Add chips, then cream.  Don't stir too much at this point, just until
it all hangs together.

Empty the blob out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it about
10 times working in a bit a flour if it is too sticky.

Pat into a 9 or 10 inch circle.  Brush the top and sides w/ the melted
butter (1 to 2 T.) and sprinkle w/ the extra sugar (1 to 2 T. is
plenty).

Cut into 12 wedges and separate.

Place on ungreased (or spray w/ PAM) baking sheet.

Bake 14 to 15 min. until just barely beginning to get light brown.
These also freeze well

3 Ingredient Lemon Scones
Source: Pinterest

My note: Here again the use of heavy cream, no butter or eggs. Be sure
to use lemonade.
I also added some grated lemon rind in the recipe.

3 cups / 450 g self raising flour
1 cup / 250 ml heavy whipping cream (not whipped)
1 cup / 250 ml cold lemonade (fizzy Lemonade in a bottle e.g. Schweppes)

Preheat oven to 200C/390F (standard) or 180C/350 (fan/convection).

Combine the flour, cream and lemonade in a bowl and mix until just
combined. Do not over mix, it will make the scones dense! The dough
should be soft and fairly sticky.

Turn out onto a floured surface, and gently pat down to 2.5cm/1.2"
thickness.

Use a 6cm/2.5" round cutter to cut scones. Flour the cutter in between
so the dough doesn't stick. I usually get 6 out of the first batch,
then I combine and pat out the offcuts to make another 4.

Optional - brush the tops lightly with milk. This makes the tops nice
and golden, and helps smooth the top too.

Place on a lined or greased tray, slightly touching each other (they
help each other rise) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden on
top. Place on rack to cool. Place tea towel over them to stop the tops
from getting crusty.

Serve with copious amounts of cream and jam, and of course tea!
These also freeze well

Lone Star Beer Quick Bread Or Muffins
Source: Texas recipe email list

MY note:best beer bread I ever baked, freezes well, also taste good
chilled and sliced

1 12-ounce can or bottle of Lone Star (or any) beer, at room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
For Jalapeno Cheddar Bread, add:
2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and deveined, finely chopped
3/4 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350F and prepare one 9x5-inch or three 3x5-inch loaf
pans with oil and flour, or non-stick baking spray.

Using a large bowl, mix together the sugar, salt, baking powder, and
flour.  Add beer and continue to stir, until blended (the batter will
be sticky).  [Note: If making Jalapeno Cheddar bread, mix the chopped
jalapenos and shredded cheese into the batter.]

Pour batter into pan or pans and bake 55 to 60 minutes for a large,
and 35 to 45 minutes for the smaller loaves.  For muffins, use a
12-muffin pan with paper liners.  Fill each about 2/3 full and bake
about 30 to 35 minutes.