Re: Wall Oven

Will Waller <williamwaller@charter.net>
Mon, 25 Sep 2017 08:34:22 -0500
v117.n038.6
Re: Stephen Blumm's question about electric wall ovens:

My advice on bread ovens is to increase your radiant heat capacity and
your temperature control. You can make do with a variety of oven brands.

I bake twice a week. Been baking for over 40 years. What works for me
are 2 relatively inexpensive tools.

1) A pizza steel - better than a pizza stone for managing temperature
and oven heating cycles. Stores heat and radiates heat.  Essentially
you are copying the brick oven model on the cheap.  I don't bake on a
steel, but I have one on the oven floor as a radiant device.

2) A serious oven thermometer. Do not rely on the oven system. Have an
independent instrument.

The brands that I recommend (and own) are Dough-Joe for the steel. I
have the thin one. And Thermoworks Chef Alarm with the additional oven
cavity probe that clips to an oven rack. You can Google both businesses
for information.

I'd opt in for both companies' email lists. Both businesses run
product promotions and you can save money by subscribing to their
email lists.

Will