Pumpkin Chai Doughnut Muffins

Sun, 11 Dec 2016 18:49:47 -0800
v116.n047.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Muffins, Pumpkin Chai Doughnut

Recipe By     :Stephanie
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Breads/Muffins/Rolls
                  Desserts                        Posted
                  Snacks                          Vegetables

       1/3           cup  milk
    1                bag  chai tea
    10       tablespoons  unsalted butter -- room temperature, (1 1/4
sticks), plus more for pan
    3               cups  all-purpose flour -- plus more for pan
    2 1/2      teaspoons  baking powder
    1           teaspoon  salt
       1/2      teaspoon  nutmeg
       1/4      teaspoon  allspice
       1/4      teaspoon  cardamom
       1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
    1 1/4           cups  canned pumpkin -- NOT pumpkin pie mix
       3/4           cup  packed light brown sugar
    2                     eggs
       3/4           cup  granulated sugar
    2 1/2      teaspoons  cinnamon
    4        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- (1/2 stick), melted

After baking, brush with butter and rolled in a cinnamon-sugar
mixture that I swear this is accompanied by the sounds of a choir of angels.

Notes: I used pumpkin chai tea to steep in the milk before adding it
to the batter, but regular chai works just as well. The chai flavors
are subtle, mostly because they are so similar to that of pumpkin
spice, but they pair perfectly with the sweet cinnamon sugar. The
texture and crumb of these muffins is just like a baked cake
doughnut, all soft and tender and delicious-like, which I really
love. And don't be tempted to skip out on the butter-cinnamon-sugar
coating to make them healthier. Trust - it's worth the indulgence.

Also, DO be tempted to brown the butter before brushing it onto the
muffins. I almost did this, but my impatience got the best of me and,
like an adult, I shoveled one of these muffins into my mouth as soon
as it was coated. WINNING.

Prep: 30 min
Cook: 30 min
Total: 1 hr

Pour milk into a mug or small microwaveable bowl. Heat in microwave
40 seconds until hot (but not scalding). Steep tea in milk 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat oven to 350F. Butter and flour 12 standard muffin
cups. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg,
allspice, cardamom and baking soda until well combined.

Remove tea bag from milk, squeezing out any extra liquid and flavor
from bag. Pour milk into a small bowl and stir in canned pumpkin
until mixture is well combined.

In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and brown sugar
on high speed 1 to 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at
a time, beating well after each addition.

Using a spatula, wooden spoon or stand mixer on low speed, alternate
stirring in flour (in 3 additions) and pumpkin mixtures (in 2
additions), beginning and ending with flour mixture, just until
batter is combined.

Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake 30 minutes until
a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool muffins 10
minutes in pan on a cooling rack.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cinnamon. One at
a time, remove muffins from pan and brush tops and sides with butter,
then roll in sugar-cinnamon mixture. Transfer to cooling rack to cool
completely.

Source:
    "Adapted From MARTHA STEWART"
S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.girlversusdough.com/2015/09/10/pumpkin-chai-doughnut-muffins/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 360 Calories; 15g Fat (36.7%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
72mg Cholesterol; 330mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.