Potato Dinner Rolls

Sat, 12 Nov 2016 09:17:22 -0800
v116.n045.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Rolls, Potato Dinner

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Breads/Muffins/Rolls
                  Low Fat                         Posted
                  Potatoes                        Side Dish
                  Stand Mixer

    1              large  russet potato -- (10 oz), peeled and cut
into 1" pieces
    2        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- cut into 4 pieces
    13 1/2        ounces  bread flour -- (2 1/4C)
    2          teaspoons  instant yeast -- or rapid-rise yeast
    1           teaspoon  salt
    1              large  egg -- room temp
    1         tablespoon  sugar
    1              large  egg -- lightly beaten with
    1         tablespoon  water
    1              pinch  salt

Makes: 12 rolls
Rising Time: 1 to 2 hours
Baking Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, plus 15 minutes cooling time

Why this recipe works: While the decadently buttery white dinner
rolls associated with holiday dinners are delicious, sometimes we
crave something similarly soft and tender but a little leaner.
Old-fashioned potato rolls, with their light, moist crumb, fit the
bill. Potato roll recipes abound, but almost none specify what type
of potato to use, and some turn out heavy, rather than
feathery-light, rolls. We wanted to nail down a foolproof recipe for
these tender rolls. We learned that more starch is better, so we
chose high-starch russets. Potato starch granules are about five
times larger than wheat granules, so they can absorb at least five
times as much water, resulting in a moister crumb. As we made batch
after batch of rolls with different amounts of mashed russets, we
discovered something interesting: The more potato we used, the less
time the dough needed to rise. As it turns out, the potassium in
potatoes activates yeast; the more of it there is, the quicker and
more vigorous the rise. This led us to consider the cooking water.
When potatoes are boiled, they leach almost half of their potassium
into the water, which helped explain why so many recipes called for
adding it to the dough. We found that when we switched from using 5
tablespoons of milk to using the same amount of potato cooking water,
the rising times dropped still more. These rolls weren't just light,
moist, and satisfying; they needed significantly less rising time
than many standard dinner rolls. Don't salt the water in which you
boil the potatoes.

Place potato in medium saucepan and cover with 1" cold water. Bring
to boil over high heat, then reduce to simmer and cook until potato
is just tender (paring knife can be slipped in and out of potato with
little resistance), 8 to 10 minutes.

Transfer 2 1/2 oz (5 tablespoons) potato cooking water to 4-cup
liquid measuring cup and let cool completely; drain potatoes. Return
potatoes to now-empty saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, shaking
saucepan occasionally, until any surface moisture has evaporated,
about 30 seconds. Off heat, process potatoes through ricer or food
mill or mash well with potato masher. Measure 1 cup very firmly
packed potatoes (8 oz) and transfer to separate bowl. Stir in butter
until melted and let mixture cool completely before using. Discard
remaining mashed potatoes or save for another use.

Whisk flour, yeast, and salt together in bowl of stand mixer. Whisk
egg and sugar into potato cooking water until sugar has dissolved.
Add mashed potato mixture to flour mixture and mix with your hands
until combined (some large lumps are OK). Using dough hook on low
speed, slowly add cooking water mixture and mix until cohesive dough
starts to form and no dry flour remains, about 2 minutes, scraping
down bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium-low and knead until
dough is smooth and elastic and clears sides of bowl but sticks to
bottom, about 8 minutes

Transfer dough to lightly floured counter and knead by hand to form
smooth, round ball, about 30 seconds. Place dough seam side down in
lightly greased large bowl or container, cover tightly with plastic
wrap, and let rise until doubled in size, 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Press down on dough to
deflate. Transfer dough to dean counter and stretch into even 12"
log. Cut log into 12 equal pieces (about 2 oz each) and cover loosely
with greased plastic.

Arrange dough balls seam side down on prepared sheet, spaced about 1
1/2 inches apart. Cover loosely with greased plastic and let rise
until nearly doubled in size and dough springs back minimally when
poked gently with your knuckle, 30 minutes to 1 hour. (Unrisen rolls
can be refrigerated for at least 8 hours or up to 16 hours; let rolls
sit at room temperature for 1 hour before baking.

Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 425F.
Gently brush rolls with egg mixture and bake until golden brown, 12
to 14 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking. Transfer rolls
to wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Variations:

Potato Dinner Rolls with Cheddar and Mustard:
Stir 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1 teaspoon dry mustard into
flour mixture in step 3. Sprinkle each roll with 1 teaspoon shredded
cheddar (1/4 cup total) before baking.

Potato Burger Buns:
Divide dough into 9 pieces (about 2 3/4 oz each) and shape into
smooth, taut rounds as directed in step 6. Let rounds rest for 15
minutes, then press into 3 1/2" disks of even thickness. Arrange
disks on 2 parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheets and let rise as
directed in step 7. Sprinkle rolls with 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, if
desired, and bake on upper-middle and middle racks until rolls are
deep golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes, switching and rotating sheets
halfway through the baking. Makes 9 burger buns.

Source:
    ""Bread Illustrated" by America's Test Kitchen"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 155 Calories; 3g Fat (19.4%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 202mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.