TEXAS PECAN FRUIT CAKE

Debbie Rogers <dmrogers218@hotmail.com>
Fri, 11 Nov 2016 14:42:58 +0000
v116.n042.10
I make this every year!

TEXAS PECAN FRUIT CAKE

Source: Chattanooga Times Free Press

3 cups sugar
1 lb butter
7 eggs
1 lb candied cherries (I use 1 lb red and 1 lb green)
1/2 lb candied pineapple (I leave this out)
5 cups all purpose flour
2 oz bottle of lemon extract (or 2 1-oz bottles)
1 tsp baking soda
1 quart pecan halves

*Cream sugar, butter and add well beaten egg yolks.

*Add 2 1/2 cups flour, baking soda and lemon extract. Beat well.

*Add 2 cups flour. Beat well.

*Add 1/2 cup flour to the cherries, pineapple and pecans. Coat well.

*Mix into cake batter.

*Beat egg whites until they hard peak. Fold into cake.

*I do this part (fruit, nuts, egg whites) with my hands. Pour (I
"glob" it into the pan with my hands since they are already in the
mixture) into tube pan lined with wax paper.

*Wash hands.

*Cover top and bottom of cake pan with aluminum foil. Bake at 250F
for 4 hours or till done.

When cool, wrap in cheesecloth and soak in Amaretto. (Optional but
highly recommended!)