I tried something new (Amish Bread Loaf)

Cheryl Cox <rcox45@aol.com>
Sat, 20 Aug 2016 06:50:33 -0500
v116.n031.1
I make my own homemade Greek yogurt. There's so much whey left that I
really hated dumping it down the drain. It's full of protein and
'good for you' stuff. I read a suggestion that it could be used in
breads or soups. I used it for all of the liquid in a bread recipe
the other day, fully expecting to throw it out. WOW! The bread was
excellent! It rose higher than ever before, and was softer than any
I'd ever baked! Here's the recipe I used, along with my changes:

Amish Bread Loaf

     2 c.   Warm water (I used my whey)
   2/3 c.   Sugar
     2 pkts yeast (no instant.. I used 2 Tbsp. Bulk yeast from Sam's)
     1 tsp. Salt
   1/4 c.   Vegetable oil (I used soft butter)
5 1/2 c.   Flour

I cheated. I dumped the liquid into my bread machine pan and then the
flour, topped off with all the other ingredients. I ran my machine on
the 'quick dough' setting. Then I removed it and let it rise in a
greased bowl until doubled, covered with a greased lid. I put it into
2 greased loaf pans and let it rise for 30 minutes. Bake it for 30
minutes or until the top is nicely browned. Let it sit in the pans
for 15-20 minutes before releasing it.

Enjoy! Cheryl Cox