Sourdough Pita

Megan Lee <meggers616@gmail.com>
Sun, 17 Jul 2016 22:50:01 -0400
v116.n026.3
I only use this recipe for my pita bread nowadays. I use
freshly-ground whole wheat, and skip the honey. I usually divide the
dough after the first rise, then rest the balls before rolling out,
instead of what she suggested.

They do well in the oven at a high heat (~ 450F) as well, but it's so
hot these days that stovetop is probably the better option!

I've also made these with spelt flour with great results. I hope you
will enjoy this recipe, because I do!

From: Bint Rhoda's Kitchen -
http://bintrhodaskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/02/sourdough-pita-bread-or-khubiz-arabi.html

Khubiz Arabi

Yield:  8-10 loaves

2 cups whole wheat flour - I prefer white whole wheat for a softer texture
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup sourdough starter, freshly fed and bubbly
3/4 - 1 cup water or whole milk, for a softer dough

Mix together flour and salt.

Add in sourdough starter, honey, and salt and begin to stir, adding
in water a little bit at a time.  The amount of liquid will depend on
the hydration level of your starter.  Knead until soft and elastic.

Place in a greased bowl, turning dough to coat and allow to rise
until double in volume.

Alternatively, you can use the dough setting on your bread maker, and
check to make sure that the dough forms well, adding water or flour as needed.

To form loaves:
Heat a cast iron griddle over medium heat.

Punch down dough and divide into pieces the size of a lime.  Roll
each piece into a very thin circle, really, as thin as you
can.  Flour is your friend - use a well-floured surface and keep your
rolling pin coated in flour.   If they resist formation, let them
rest a second time for 5-10 minutes.  Don't worry if they are not
perfect - this take a little practice.  But the thinner you roll out
the loaves, the more likely they are to form pockets, so do take the
time to roll them out as much as you can.

Place the loaves on a well-floured surface so that they do not stick
and cover with damp towels.

Allow to rest 5-10 minutes.  They will not actually rise.  I find
that by the time you have rolled out a few of them, you can throw a
few onto your griddle.

Very gingerly, pick up a loaf and place it on the griddle.  Any
pressure on the loaf will prevent it from puffing up and forming a
pocket.  After a few minutes, steam will build up inside of the loaf
and the loaf will puff and form a pocket.  It is a beautiful thing!
Flip and wait another minute or two.  Each loaf should take 3-5
minutes to cook.

Even if it doesn't puff, the bread is still absolutely delicious.

theabcchef.com <-Visit my food blog, if you please!
<http://whyisfoodsogood.blogspot.com>