Flourless Carrot Multi-Seed And Nut Bread

Wed, 29 Jun 2016 20:40:00 -0700
v116.n023.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                  Bread, Flourless Carrot Multi-Seed And Nut

Recipe By     :Meeta
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                  Ethnic                          Nuts
                  Posted

    150            grams  carrots -- grated
    1         tablespoon  olive oil -- to 2T
    5              grams  dry yeast
                   pinch  salt
    50             grams  almonds -- finely ground
    50             grams  hazelnuts -- finely ground
    50             grams  sesame seeds
    50             grams  flax seeds
    50             grams  sunflower seeds
    50             grams  pumpkin seeds
    1           teaspoon  za'atar -- to 2 tsp
                   pinch  sumac -- a few pinches
    100      milliliters  warm water

Germany

I wanted the bread to be richer in fiber, which the flax seeds here
provide quite well. I experimented with ground hazelnuts, added a mix
of seeds - pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds and the experiment and
idea came together beautifully. Carrots came into it to give it
texture and a slight sweetness and I played around with a few
aromatics like dried herbs and spices. The mixture is not like your
typical bread dough - that's something to keep in mind when making
this. Being more crumbly the mixture is not kneaded but brought
rashly together with your hands.

Baking the bread on medium temperature ensures crispy edges and a
moist center and it keeps for about a week. The result is a bread
that is crumbly, yet moist, nutty and so versatile that it works with
all kinds of spreads and toppings. Being grain-free and flourless the
bread is well suited for all kinds of diets be it gluten-free or
Paleo and it also fits into the vegan diet perfectly.

What I love about this bread is that it is so easy to put together,
provided you have a grinder to grind the nuts and seeds.

Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 1 hour
Serves: 6-8

Place the grated carrots in a large bowl, add the dried yeast, ground
hazelnuts and almonds, the olive oil, salt and aromatics - here the
sumac and za'atar.

Toast the sesame, flax, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, then grind them
finely and add them to the bowl with the other ingredients. Pour
water and using your hands quickly bring the mixture together. It
will not be like a smooth sticky bread dough but rather slightly
crumbly, nonetheless it should come together easily.

Line a small baking tray with some baking paper and with your fingers
spread the mixture into the pan. Smoothen the top, then cover with a
cloth and allow to rest for about 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 170C.

After the resting time bake the bread in the oven for 25-30 minutes
keeping an eye on it so that it does not brown too much. Nice crispy
edges are good though! Take out of the oven and allow to cool.

Notes: Use any other aromatics that suit your fancy. I have used
garam masala and cumin seeds, which is also one of my favorites. But
dried herb mix like herbs de Provence are great to.

                                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 209 Calories; 16g Fat (66.3%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 11mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Fat.

Serving Ideas : Serve it with eggs for breakfast, a quick sandwich
with air-dried venison, with cheese and caramelized onions, avocado
slices, fresh butter, drizzled with raw honey and some thyme or, my
favorites - with hummus or cashew butter this bread has been one of
the integral parts of my diet over the past several weeks. It's very
filling and a slice is often more than enough to keep you satiated
for a while. Toasted in butter until crispy and golden, leftover
bread slices make great croutons for all kinds of soups.