Re: sourdough crackers

Diane B <dianeb@debunix.net>
Sun, 23 Nov 2014 10:25:09 -0800
v114.n047.1
>From: Haack Carolyn <haacknjack@sbcglobal.net>
>Subject: sourdough crackers
>Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 08:16:21 -0800
>
>6.  For maximum crispness, I toss ALL the cooled crackers back onto
>a pile on a baking sheet and roast again for about 10 minutes.  This
>evens out the difference between center and edge crackers.

This is the real key to crisp crackers, shortbreads, and
biscotti:  to bake them a second time.  You don't have to let the
crackers or cookies cool completely, but for best results and least
fuss, let the oven cool to 200-225 F, and put the crackers into that
for 20-30 minutes; for thicker shortbreads and biscotti, I put them
in for 60 minutes or more.  This dries them out without further
browning or risk of burning.

Another trick for adding a crumbly crispness to crackers or cookies
is mixing in 10-20% rice flour.

--diane in los angeles

http://debunix.net/recipes/FoodPages.html