Re: Malt

"Yvonne & Gerald" <gh52@mweb.co.za>
Sun, 26 Oct 2014 10:56:22 +0200
v114.n043.9
Hi Art.

This is not going to help you much. I manufacture Diastatic malt
powder for my own use and for those bakers who appreciate the stuff.
But here's the kicker, I live in South Africa.

However, if you're interested in making your own I would gladly send
you a guideline.

In the meanwhile, be careful that you buy the right stuff. The malt
power (or liquid) that the brewers and biscuit bakers use is
non-diastatic and is for flavor only. It no longer contains any
viable enzymes (diastase), the little critters that bread bakers use.
The enzymes break out the simple sugars buried within the flour which
feed the yeasts who can't use complex sugar like sucrose. This
results in a better rise and better flavor through more complete
breakdown of the proteins. It will also result in a better crust
color by improving the caramelization of the extra maltose being
released from the flour starches.

I believe a lot of the bread flour available in the USA already have
Diastatic malt powder added. Better check with your supplier or get
hold of King Arthur Flours.

Cheers

Gerald Hayward
South Africa