Skillet Cornbread

Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:45:02 -0700
v114.n042.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                               Bread, Skillet Cornbread

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 9     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Breads/Muffins/Rolls

    2               cups  cornmeal -- stone ground, medium.
    2               cups  buttermilk -- Note 1
    1           teaspoon  salt -- Note 2
    2              large  eggs
    1           teaspoon  baking soda -- (do not use baking powder)
    2        tablespoons  hot fat -- (I use bacon drippings whenever possible)
    2        tablespoons  flour -- Note 3

Note 1: If you don't have buttermilk use regular milk with a
tablespoon of lemon juice
Note 2: If you use kosher salt use 1 1/2 teaspoons
Note 3: This can be adjusted to personal preference and you may have
to add an additional tablespoon or so of buttermilk if you use three
to four tablespoons of flour.

Preheat the oven to 400F.

Measure the fat into the skillet and place it in the oven.

Mix the buttermilk with the cornmeal and salt. If adding flour, this
is the time to add it.
Add the eggs and stir to mix, break up any lumps of dried ingredients.
It should look like porridge that has just begun to thicken.
Add the baking soda and stir to blend into the batter.
Remove the skillet from the oven - use care, the skillet and fat are very hot.
Pour the hot fat into the batter, stir to blend.
Quickly pour the batter into the hot skillet.

Place on center rack in the oven.

Bake for 25 minutes.

Test with athin-bladed knife inserted into the center. If there is
moisture on the blade leave in the oven for an additional 5 - 10
minutes, repeat moisture check every 3 minutes until it comes out clean.

Remove skillet from oven, carefully turn out onto cooling rack.

Cut into wedges and serve while still warm.

Variations: If you are adventurous and want to diverge from the
"true" southern cornbread, the variables are just about endless:
One simple and tasty addition is crumbled crisp bacon - stirred into
the batter along with the fat.

Chopped chiles, mild or hot, with or without grated cheese, bacon,
finely chopped ham and so on, produces a result that is almost a meal
in itself - and very portable, especially if baked in a muffin tin
(or iron if you have one of the old ones).

My grandmother was partial to adding the crumbled bacon and finely
minced green onions to cornbread muffins that were going to be served
at a picnic.

Some people like a sweeter cornbread and if you prefer, you can add
two tablespoons of sugar without adjusting the liquid in the recipe -
or you can add honey or molasses, etc. However that is no longer
"real" southern cornbread.

Other regions have cornbread traditions, the "Indian Meal Cake" of
the eastern shore, the "Johnny Cake" of the upper midwest and so on.
However in my experience, none of these is as satisfying as the
simple recipe I learned from my grandmother. There are also other
southern type cornbreads, some made with sweet milk and some without
any milk at all and no eggs. This "hot water" cornbread was probably
the earliest type made in the south and while it is good, I like the
more complex flavor when buttermilk and eggs are added.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 183 Calories; 5g Fat (24.8%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
52mg Cholesterol; 450mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat.