Frank's Famous Baking Powder Biscuits

Mon, 14 Jul 2014 00:24:22 -0700
v114.n027.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                 Bread, Frank's Famous Baking Powder Biscuits

Recipe By     :texasman77
Categories    : Biscuits/Crackers/Crisps

    2               cups  all-purpose flour
    2 1/2      teaspoons  baking powder
       1/2      teaspoon  salt
       1/3           cup  shortening
       2/3           cup  milk

I'm one of those guys that really loves biscuits. I discovered,
however, that if I wanted them on a regular basis, I had better learn
to make them myself. For some reason, even cooks that are considered
REALLY good cooks, often can't make biscuits! I really don't
understand why, though, these are EASY! There's no reason to settle
for those substandard biscuits you find in the dairy case. This
recipe is SO easy and quick, once you get the hang of it, that
there's no reason not to make them from scratch. After a while, if
you make them often enough, you will get to the point where you don't
have to measure the ingredients . . . you can tell from the "feel" of
the dough when you have it right. Don't worry though . . . just stick
to the amounts below and you'll do fine! I have tried it with
prepared baking mixes also . . . "Bisquick" is my personal favorite,
and I can't really tell the difference. Except the price, of course!
It's MUCH cheaper to mix it up from scratch.

"I usereal butter and add some sugar. Also, you can use water instead
of milk and they are a bit lighter. If you leave the dough thick you
will get much fluffier bisquits. I have also used self rising flour
with baking power (doubling up) and they have worked also. Hard to
mess them up in truth. :)"

Preheat the oven to 425F.

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

With a pastry blender, or two knives cut the shortening into the dry
mixture until it has the consistency of coarse cornmeal. (I've seen
this done with two butter knives, but personally, I'd be lost without
a pastry blender!) Add the milk while gently stirring with a fork.
The dough that forms should be soft, but not sticky. You may have to
add a little more or less depending on the temperature and humidity
of your kitchen. You'll have to experiment until you learn the "feel"
of the dough. Knead the dough on a floured board until smooth. DO NOT
OVERWORK! Overworked biscuits will be tough! A friend of mine once
said "Just flip it over and smack it twice . . . . don't work it no
more!" Roll out the dough, or pat it flat. Cut with a biscuit cutter
or a glass tumbler and place on a lightly greased baking sheet about
1" apart. This recipe makes about a dozen biscuits about 3" across
and a 1/2" tall (unbaked). You can make them thicker, of course, but
remember that they will rise up as they bake. Bake 12-15 min, or
until golden brown.

Source:
    "Bigoven.com"
S(Internet address):
    "http://bigoven.com/recipe/157914/Frank's-Famous-Baking-Powder-Bisquits"
Start to Finish Time:
    "0:45"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 135 Calories; 6g Fat (42.5%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
2mg Cholesterol; 197mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Non-Fat
Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.