Re: Digest bread-bakers.v114.n018

Ilene Wagner <iwagner@frontiernet.net>
Mon, 5 May 2014 15:46:23 -0400
v114.n019.4
@Phyllis re: greasing loaf pans... I learned this from a pastry chef
on another site and have used it for years: mix equal parts (by
volume) oil, flour and shortening,i.e., Crisco, in a mixer until well
blended. Store in plastic container in refrigerator. Use a pastry
brush to grease any type of baking pan. It lasts forever, is cheap,
and nothing ever sticks. A little goes a long way. Yesterday I baked
a loaf of "many seed bread" from Reinhart's BB Apprentice (turned out
great) using this mix to grease the pan.

I have Clayton's original bread book from around the 1970s but never
used it. It seemed like a good purchase at the time and sometimes
I'll skim it for reference, but haven't been inspired to follow any
recipes. I agree they use a lot of yeast.