Southern Cornbread

Andrea Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Tue, 4 Feb 2014 15:03:56 -0800
v114.n006.8
It's nice to see any cornbread recipe because I love cornbread.

However, REAL southern cornbread does not contain wheat flour, or at
the most a couple of tablespoons because white flour was more
expensive than cornmeal and reserved for biscuits and cakes, quick breads.

When I was a child, in Kentucky, a ten-pound bag of flour cost the
same as a 25-pound bag of cornmeal at the store.

My grandpa owned a grist mill and most of the local farmers brought
their dried corn, still on the cob, to be "hulled" (10 cents a bushel
in about 1947) and ground in the mill - (50 cents for each 50 pounds
or equivalent trade in kind).

My recipe for cornbread as I enjoyed as a child - made by my
grandma's cook, a Gullah woman from South Carolina.

http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/resurrected-recipes-from-long-ago/cornbread-the-staff-of-life-in-the-south-of-my-childhood/

Andie Paysinger