Re: Mafra Country bread (Portugal)

Fred Smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Sun, 15 Dec 2013 08:29:59 -0500
v113.n046.4
>--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v113.n045.2 ---------------
>
>From: Bryan McAlister <bryanmac@talktalk.net>
>Subject: Mafra Country bread (Portugal)
>Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:52:59 +0000
>
>This an extremely nice white loaf baked in a bloomer shape with a
>crisp crust and nice soft crumb that I've always liked on visits but
>have never tried to bake. The whiteness may be a hotel
>characteristic. Ordinary home bakers may add a proportion of brown flour.
>
>Recipe I have is translated as follows..
>
>20gr Bakers Yeast
>400 gr Water
>100 gr mass fermented*
>250 gr flour tipo65*
>250 gr flour tipo 110*
>1 tablespoon salt.
>
>I'm interpreting
>* "mass fermented" as dough saved from previous bake
>*"tipo65" as plain flour (all purpose)
>*"tipo110" as strong flour.
>
>Can anyone throw any further light on this?
>
>Regards
>Bryan McAlister

I would GUESS that "strong" flour would be a high-gluten flour,
perhaps something vaguely like KA bread flour.

Based on that guess, were I making this recipe I'd probably use KA
all purpose for the whole thing then add 1/4 cup (or more) of vital
wheat gluten to strengthen it.

Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
  "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we
might become the righteousness of God."
  Corinthians 5:21