Mixer repair?

Roel Wyman <roel.wyman@utoronto.ca>
Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:28:09 -0400
v113.n015.4
So our Kitchenaid mixer crashed today, as I knew it eventually would.
Our first one lasted 35 years and burnt out, and was replaced by a
similar (Hah!) looking one that worked okay for four years, until
today when a steel measuring cup fell into a batter and caused the
plastic (!) gears in the head to strip. I'm definitely not going to
buy another Kitchenaid, partly because of this, and partly because I
have a wonderful Magic Mill Assistent that I bought used a few years
ago from Judy on this list. Thanks Judy - it still works great for
bread, which I make, but my wife isn't comfortable with changing the
way she works, so it's possible that we may buy a new machine. I
understand that Bosch has some happy followers, so we may go that way.

In the meantime, I am quite capable with tools and electrics, so I am
asking whether anyone has experience with obtaining new gears from
Kitchenaid and replacing them. Does one need special tools to
disassemble the housing and replace the gears? Is it even possible?

All comments and advice are welcome.

Thanks

Roel