How to measure flour

h.chapman@rogers.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 09:27:42 -0700 (PDT)
v112.n040.2
If only recipes specified weights we could get away with the
scooping, tamping, scraping. I just finished reading _The Man Who Ate
Everything_ by Steingarten. His last essay is on pie crusts based on
Marion Cunningham's recipe and techniques. She scoops and tamps flour
ending up with "exactly" 5 oz. From memory others come up with 4 oz.
Buy a scale! (The book also discusses the origin of cup measuring
which seems to be limited now to North America - and perhaps Iraq.

Harold Chapman
In Guelph, Ontario

_The Man Who Ate Everything_ by Jeffrey Steingarten, ISBN 978-0375702020