Sourdough starter

dmrogers218@comcast.net
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:39:09 +0000 (UTC)
v112.n023.4
I found this starter going thru a recipe book. I had never seen one
with vinegar. I haven't tried it yet but going to very soon! I added
the "(starter)" in a couple of places.

deb in Georgia

Sourdough Starter
Source: Marcia Adams Heirloom Recipes

2 cups whole milk
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups unbleached white flour

Combine milk and vinegar in a glass bowl.  Allow to stand for 30
minutes.  Whisk in sugar and flour.  Cover with a square of
cheesecloth and set aside in a draft-free place for 48 hours.  Whisk
the mixture every day to recombine the ingredients.  When the mixture
is bubbly and smells of yeast you are ready to begin baking. If no
bubbling occurs by the fifth day or if mold appears on the top of the
starter, discard the whole thing and start over.

Dip out the amount you need for the recipe and then feed the starter
by whisking in 1 cup milk that has been soured with 1 tsp red wine
vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 cup unbleached flour.  Cover the mixture
with cheesecloth and allow to stand overnight or until the mixture is
bubbly again.  Cover loosely (plastic wrap is fine) and
refrigerate.  Do not bake with the sourdough (starter) the same day
you feed it.

Sourdough (starter) can be frozen but it should be thawed and fed and
kept in a warm place until it revives.  If you have an unusually good
starter going and don't want to lose it, it can be dried.  Drop
teaspoons of sourdough (starter) on wax paper and allow the wafers to
dry for 2 days, turning them frequently.  Pack in airtight jars.  To
reactive, drop 3 wafers in 1/2 cup of warm water and allow the
mixture, covered with cheesecloth, to stand overnight.  This can be
added to your recipe for starter and assures a well-flavored beginning.

**
GOD never said life would be easy.
HE just promised it would be worth it.