Question about bread machine dough cycle

Marsha Kostman <mkstmn@aol.com>
Sat, 25 Feb 2012 02:05:32 -0500 (EST)
v112.n008.16
Exactly what does a bread machine do during the dough cycle?  Does it
just mix the ingredients; does it knead the dough; does the dough
raise during the cycle?

I found a recipe for pizza dough that says to put the ingredients in
the machine, and run it through the dough cycle.  It then says to cut
the dough in half, place in 2 covered oiled bowls and refrigerate for 18 hours.

It occurred to me that I really needed to know exactly what happens
during the dough cycle.  I don't own and don't intend to get a bread
machine.  Even though I don't bake much any more, I still enjoy it
once in a while, and I've decided to make my own pizza dough for a
change.  I know I could just use a straight-forward pizza dough
recipe, but I still want to know what a dough machine does during the
dough cycle.

Marsha
in southern Illinois