protein test for wheat

"dalepadams@juno.com" <dalepadams@juno.com>
Sun, 19 Feb 2012 02:29:24 GMT
v112.n008.10
John Hileman asked if there is a home test for protein in wheat.  The
short answer is no.  There are several ways to analyze for protein
(gliaden and glutenin, mainly) in wheat.  Even the easiest one
requires a graduated cylinder with lid, which not even I have in my
home.  Being an analytical chemist, I do have some lab glassware at
home.  The standard test procedure requires an instrument costing
hundreds of thousands of dollars.  The home test kits are for
detecting small amounts of wheat in foods for people who have wheat allergies.

You might try finding someone at the store or farm who is more
knowledgeable about the product that they sell and ask them what
types of wheat they grow.  Hard wheat has higher protein than soft
wheat.  I think that your blended wheat is likely to be all purpose,
that is, a 50/50 blend of hard and soft wheats.  Don't quote me on
this, but I think bread flour (hard wheat) is about 12% protein, soft
(pastry) wheat is 8%, and vital wheat gluten is 16% protein.  I don't
have any idea what family wheat might be.