Home milling of flour - costs

Mike <pmiker@wildblue.net>
Mon, 13 Feb 2012 06:22:44 -0600
v112.n007.2
I recently purchased a KitchenAid grain mill attachment.  I have
tested it with a couple of 3 lb bags of Bob's Red Mill wheat
berries.  The process of grinding my own has gone well so I thought
I'd try more. Then I noticed the costs.  Currently I pay about $0.50
- $0.60 per pound for store bought flour.  If I went with a fancier
brand like KAF, I might spend up to $0.90 or a bit more per
pound.  To grind my own regularly, I'd need larger amounts of wheat
berries than 3 lb bags.  The cost to ship a 50 lb bag is over
$40.  This is twice the cost of the wheat berries and would run my
cost up to at least $1.25 per pound.

I live in Texas and while wheat is grown here, it's not seen for sale
except in small quantities.  I cannot afford a 300% increase in the
cost of my flour so for now, the home milling is on hold.  I've seen
that in some parts of the country that large bags of wheat berries
are available at feed stores or big box stores.  The big box stores
here do not carry it.  I'll call some feed stores today.

So, is home grinding of wheat into flour a novelty or do some folks
do this routinely?  If they do, where do they get the wheat berries?

Mike R.