Kitchenaid 6 qt. mixer problems

Robert Grossman/Tari Cody <rdgtlc@yahoo.com>
Sun, 4 Dec 2011 13:53:11 -0800 (PST)
v111.n048.1
I have used my 6 qt. Professional Kitchenaid for about a year mixing
and kneading bread dough. Mixing a bagel dough recently it broke
(loud whining noise and dough hook stuttered and stopped). I took it
to a fix-it shop. He fixed it for $150. He said the gears were
stripped - and very worn down. I took it home, tried to knead a
dinner roll dough (soft pliable) and it started to make the same
noise and the the dough hook stopped, again.

I really don't want to spend another $150 to try to fix it. I don't
want a different brand (I have attachments for the Kitchenaid.) I
don't want to buy a new one at today's prices. The fix-it man said
the transmission on this machine is not well designed, unlike older
models. (Mine is about 3 to 4 years old.)

Anyone have any suggestions? I have seen websites that give
instructions on how to fix it yourself. Should I try it?

Thanks for any help.