Re: slow cooker bread

Jeff Dwork <jeff@jeff-and-reggie.com>
Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:02:44 -0800
v111.n047.4
Edgar Rasch <edgar@raschnet.com> asked:
>Recently AARP published a slow cooker bread recipe by Lora Brody;
>has anyone seen similar types of recipes?

There are numerous slow cooker bread recipes, but all the ones I
could find  (other than Lora's) use a cylindrical insert (or coffee
can) to contain the dough that is placed in the crock pot on a rack
along with some water. Many of the recipes are quick breads.

Lora's recipe uses the slow cooker to contain the dough for both
rising and baking (although baking is done in the oven). It seems to
me that the slow cooker could be used to keep most any dough warm
while it rises.

Jeff

Here's Lora's recipe from her 2001 book, "Slow Cooker Cooking" as
reprinted by AARP
<http://recipes.aarp.org/recipes/slow-cooker-sticky-bun-bread>.

Slow Cooker Sticky Bun Bread

Total Time: Under 2 Hours
Skill Level: Moderate
Cost: Moderate

I had a hunch that you could use the slow cooker as a dough proofer -
a place to let bread dough rise - and it's true. The slow cooker is
perfect because it's a warm, enclosed environment. The fact is, you
can even place the insert in the oven and bake the bread in it. Of
course, you do end up with a loaf of round bread, but in the case of
these delicious sticky buns, the shape is perfect.

Yield: 1 large loaf

INGREDIENTS

For the dough:
1 tablespoon active dry yeast (not rapid rise)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons Lora Brody's Bread Dough Relaxer(tm), optional
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water, plus extra to make a smooth, soft ball during the
first 5 minutes of kneading
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra as needed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

For the filling:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

For the topping:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Directions
Slow cooker size: 3 to 4 quart

To make the dough, place the yeast, sugar, salt, optional dough
relaxer, oil, 2/3 cup water, and 3 cups flour in a large mixing bowl.
Stir the ingredients together with a wooden spoon, and then turn the
dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough
gently, adding additional water or flour to form a soft, supple ball of dough.

Use the butter to generously coat the inside of the slow cooker
insert. Cover the insert and turn the slow cooker on HIGH for 5
minutes, or just until the insert feels warm to the touch, and then
turn it off. Place the dough in the insert and cover. Allow it to
rise until doubled in bulk.

While the dough is rising, toss the filling ingredients together with
a fork in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.

When the dough has doubled in bulk, transfer it to a lightly floured
work surface. Cover the empty slow cooker and heat on HIGH for 5
minutes to rewarm the insert, and then turn it off. There should
still be a coating of butter on the sides of the insert. If not, coat
it with more butter.

Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a rectangle about 24 inches
long and 8 inches wide. Scatter the filling mixture over the surface.
Start with a long edge and roll the dough, jelly-roll style, to form
a 24-inch-long roll. Try not to stretch the dough as you roll. Curl
the roll into a tight spiral and place it in the warmed slow cooker
insert. Cover the slow cooker and allow the dough to rise until
almost doubled in bulk.

Preheat the oven to 350F with a rack in the lower third, but not
lowest position. (To accommodate the insert, you may have to remove
the other shelves.) Place the insert, uncovered, in the oven and bake
for 40 to 45 minutes, until the crust is well browned and an
instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the rolls registers 200F.

While the loaf is baking, make the topping. Put the confectioners'
sugar, butter, 3 tablespoons of water, and vanilla extract in a small
bowl and stir with a fork until smooth. Add just enough water, if
necessary, so that the topping flows slowly off the fork.

When the loaf is done, remove the insert from the oven and
immediately invert the contents onto a wire rack. Immediately, invert
the loaf again onto a serving plate and spoon the topping over it.
Cut the loaf into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.