Bread with bean flour

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@acsalaska.net>
Sun, 24 Jul 2011 06:46:23 -0800
v111.n031.2
This is a pretty good bread with a good bean content.  I am about to
make this for the bread eater (since bariatric surgery I am not a
bread eater any more).  Some notes have been added over the years.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Bengal Pizza (Laura Brody)

Recipe By     :Pizza, Focaccia,Flat, and Filled Breads from your Bread Mac
Serving Size  : 1     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads                          Pizza

                         For the Dough
   1         tablespoon  yeast
   1                cup  toasted chick pea flour
   2               cups  all-purpose flour -- plus as needed
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  ginger
      1/2      teaspoon  tumeric
      1/2      teaspoon  cumin
      1/2      teaspoon  chili powder
      1/3           cup  garlic oil or substitue
      1/3           cup  olive oil + 1/2 tsp garlic powder
      3/4           cup  water -- or more
                         To Finish the Pizza
   8             ounces  ground lamb -- browned and drained
   4        tablespoons  curry paste

Place all the ingredients in the machine, program for manual or dough
and press start.  After 3 minutes of kneading if there is still a
film of dough on the bottom of the pan, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
flout until a discrete ball forms.  At the end of the final knead,
place the dough in a large plastic bag or in an oiled bowl and cover
with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or as long as 12
hours.  (Over night does not seem to cause a problem).

Prepare the lamb if desired.  Select a 16 inch perforated pizza pan
or large heavy duty baking sheet.  Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
with the rack in the center position.  Place the dough on a cold
unfloured work surface and use a heavy rolling pin to roll it to one
large 16 inch circle or two 8 to 9 inch circles.  The dough should be
as thin as possible - no more than 1/8 inch thick.  Immediatly roll
the dough back around the rolling pin and unroll it onto the pan.  (I
also use a 450 degree oven and use a silpat pad on a pizza stone on
the bottom rack to bake this.  Rolling out directly onto the silpat
eliminated the over the rolling pin step that was a problem for
me.  Also have used silicone treated baking paper at lower temperatures

Spread a thin layer of curry pasteonto the dough and top it with the
lamb if desired.  Place the pizza in the oven and bake 16-18 minutes
until the crust is very brown and crisp.  Serve immediatly.

                                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1933 Calories; 88g Fat (41.7%
calories from fat); 72g Protein; 205g Carbohydrate; 15g Dietary
Fiber; 175mg Cholesterol; 5148mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 13 1/2
Grain(Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 13 Fat.

NOTES : Books hints -- use ground turkey instead of lamb.  Serve this
with cucumer yogurt or mulligatwany soup.

Watch the pizza the last few minutes of cooking time -- this burns
quickly.  Misc sliced vegetables work well on this.

Toast the bean flour in a small pan over medium high heat until
lightly browned.  Works well without toasting, but the toasting
brings out the bean flavor better.  Canola oil and garlic poweder
works well in absence of olive oil.  Curry paste can be made by
lightly toasting curry powder and adding a tablespoon or two of canola oil.

This is a good flatbread with just the curry paste on it.  Great with
a really hot curry powder for stuffed noses.  Blows out the sinus.  I
made this once with beer instead of water.  Flavor was good.

I cook peeled garlic in olive oil until soft on a slow simmer on the
stove.  The soft garlic mashed to paste spreads on this flat bread
nicely as it comes from the oven.  Garlic lovers heaven.

Bobs Red Mill makes garbanzo bean flour.  Sometimes can find it only
at the local health/organic food store.  Much easier to buy than to
grind.  I use vitamix to hammer beans as they tend to clog the
grinding stones and are hard for me to get cleared.