Re: Sweeteners

Sue Prescott <mtncook825@yahoo.com>
Tue, 28 Jun 2011 14:51:03 -0700 (PDT)
v111.n027.3
The whole wheat recipe that I've been using for a while now is at:
<http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/100-whole-wheat-sandwich-bread-recipe>

I've made a couple of changes: I don't use water and dry milk; I use
1 cup milk, scalded and cooled. Also, I've reduced the sugar to 1
tbsp (or less); the orange juice adds plenty of sweetness. Also, the
directions don't mention this, but I do as Mike suggested--I knead it
and let it sit a while then finish the kneading, adding water if it's
too dry (I live at 9200 ft elevation and the humidity here is usually
20% or less). For our elevation/humidity, I use almost a cup less
flour so I put it in an 8x4
pan to bake.

Sue

[Editor's note: Here is the original recipe.]

2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water*
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1/2 cup orange juice
5 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
3/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes
3 3/4 cups King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat Flour or King Arthur
White Whole Wheat Flour

*Use 2 tablespoons less water in summer (or in a humid environment),
2 tablespoons more in winter (or in a dry climate).

1) Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar.
Allow it to rest for 15 minutes, till it becomes puffy. If you're
using instant yeast, you can skip this step.

2) Combine the yeast/water with the remaining ingredients, and mix
and knead - by hand, mixer, or bread machine - until you've made a
cohesive dough. If you're using a stand mixer, knead at low speed for
about 7 minutes. Note that 100% whole wheat dough will never become
smooth and supple like dough made with all-purpose flour; it'll feel
more like clay under your hands, and may appear a bit rough.

3) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and
allow it to rise till it's expanded and looks somewhat puffy, about
60 to 90 minutes. Note that dough kneaded in a bread machine will
rise faster and higher than bread kneaded in a mixer, which in turn
will rise faster and higher than one kneaded by hand. So if you're
kneading by hand, you may want to let the dough rise longer than 90 minutes.

4) Lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan. Gently shape the dough into a
smooth log, and settle it into the pan, smooth side up.

5) Tent the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the loaf
to rise till it's crowned over the rim of the pan by about 3/4",
about 75 minutes. Don't let it rise too high; it'll continue to rise
as it bakes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350F.

6) Bake the bread for 10 minutes. Lightly tent it with aluminum foil,
and bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center
registers 190F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove it from the
oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack.

7) Run a stick of butter over the top of the hot loaf, if desired,
for a softer crust. Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.