Yeast and soda/powder in biscuits

Suzanne Lander <zusana@gmail.com>
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:48:13 -0500
v111.n026.3
I have a biscuit recipe from my mom that I grew up with. It's
wonderful and yeasty! I've recently been considering using wild yeast
instead of the dry yeast the recipe calls for and that's made me look
at the recipe more closely all around. It calls for mixing everything
up together: flour, salt, soda, powder and sugar, blooming then
adding the yeast and then adding oil and buttermilk to the dry
ingredients before refrigerating overnight. The next morning you
portion it out and bake it all off.

I've been wondering if there's any advantage to having the soda and
powder in there immediately and sitting overnight. Would it make the
biscuits lighter (maybe or maybe not a good thing) if it were added
later? It makes mixing everything much easier to have it with the dry
ingredients, but what does it do for the biscuits? Especially with
all that yeast in there, too.

I'll go ahead and include the recipe. I have no idea where it came
from originally. My mom got it from an old women's group recipe book
that I haven't seen in decades. I don't know that she could even tell
me the name of the book now. They're called Ranch Style biscuits.

Sift together:
6 C flour
1 1/4 t salt
1/3 t soda
4 t powder
1/2 C sugar

Bloom 1 1/2 package dry yeast in 1/2 C warm water

Add to dry:
yeast/water mixture
1/2 C oil
2 C buttermilk

Refrigerate 8 hours.

Grease hands with butter and shape biscuits into balls. Put biscuits
in greased pan with space between them and bake at 400F for 20 minutes.

Suzanne       http://hardielander.blogspot.com
"the Dalai Lama and Charlie Brown make me want to stick around"