Re: No Knead bread

fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Mon, 30 May 2011 07:52:30 -0400
v111.n023.1
>--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v111.n022.4 ---------------
>
>From: "Haldas" <haldas@comcast.net>
>Subject: No Knead bread
>Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 22:25:36 -0400
>
>I've been baking this bread for some time and recently have
>experienced some trouble.  Initially I used only Bread or All
>Purpose flour. Lately I have changed to include 25% rye flour. The
>bread turns out more dense. It does not grow as much during the 18
>hours rise. The bread also does not gain much in size during the
>baking process. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong to cause this?
>
>Gene

The "problem" is that you're adding 25% rye flour! :)

Rye flour contains very little gluten. without enough gluten, the
dough won't hold its bubbles of gas that the yeast produces, and so
it either doesn't rise enough, or the bubbles are too weak and some
of them will burst, letting the dough fall.

You may wish to try adding some vital wheat gluten to the mix, to
strengthen the dough. You may also find it helpful to experiment with
reducing the rye, somewhat, in addition.

Fred Smith
The Lord is like a strong tower.
Proverbs 18:10 (niv)